Friday, January 22, 2016

Virgie's Mango Tart

My mother sent my brother and I a box of Virgie's Mango Tart from the Philippines through the kindness of Ramon. I was so excited to get a whole box since I love mango tarts. I opened the box and found a dozen individually wrapped tarts. My first thought was, in the future it would be practical to empty the box into a ziplock to save a lot of space in a suitcase. Oh well, it was not my problem as I was just the recipient.


I unwrapped one and had a bite. My teeth could not release my bite from the tart as I bit harder and pulled it away from my mouth. It was hard and dry. I took another bite hoping to taste a burst of the mango filling just like the picture on the box of mango oozing out. Nothing oozed out. In fact, the dried up mango looked petrified. It didn't even taste like the dried mango you could get at the market. The tart tasted old and brittle. It was so bad I had to spit it out; something I rarely do!


I gave it the benefit of the doubt that maybe this was just one tart. I opened another one and yet another and they were all hard and brittle. I looked at the date and it was marked 05-20-16. I called my brother and to be fair, he did tell me that his batch was good.


If this was purchased in the United States, there would be no issue on returns or refunds. This was purchased in the Philippines so my mother will go back to the store she bought this from and tell them my story; perhaps even have them read this blog.  It will be interesting to see if they will give her another box or offer to refund her money.   I know if I were Virgie, I would try to make things right, that is if there really is a Virgie.

1 comment:

  1. I was recently in the Philippines and I went to get a replacement for the box my mom bought. They told her they would replace it. They did but it was not easy. They had to make several phone calls to the owner of the store and I had to talk to the manager to tell him again what happened. Thank you for the replacement.

    ReplyDelete