Sunday, November 1, 2015

Erick Schat's Bakkery

This bakery has always been in Bishop ever since I can remember. It started out as a small bakery in the town of Bishop, California. In the mid 70's, I remember being at the bakery standing in line next to the actor, Robert Blake which was exciting then since he had the T.V. show, Baretta.

On the way home from June Lake, I made it a point to stop by Schat's Bakkery (this is how they spell it). My friend and I were to have breakfast there and buy a couple of their delicious bread. I looked at their website to make sure they would be open at 8:30 a.m. The website stated that they open at 6:00 a.m. so off we went. I didn't pay attention on the way up exactly where the bakery was located. I just knew that it was much bigger now and it was on the west side of Main St. We saw it and pulled over the parking lot. I was surprised to see a lot of space. As we got out of the car, we detected no movement inside the restaurant. In fact, all the chairs were on top of the table. Three motorcycle men were talking among themselves; Sandi approached them and asked if they knew why the place was closed. One said he thought it opened at 11:00 a.m. which didn't sound right. We told him, their answering machine said they open at 6:00 a.m. Greatly disappointed, we strolled to the Donut store across the street. They were terrible, too greasy. So we started driving south when all of a sudden we saw another Schat's. This was the bakery. The other one that was closed was the restaurant! I was not aware they had a restaurant.

Hallelujah! The parking lot was very busy. We got in and we were both overwhelmed. I could not believe all the loaves of bread, pastries, etc. and people all over the place. I was going to get their famous Sheepherders bread but I abandoned that idea when I saw the Bacon Chili Cheese Bread. I got one of those; in addition to that I bought a Peach Pullaway which looked delicious.

The Bacon Chili Cheese Bread was wonderful. Crusty outside and very soft inside with a bit of spiciness due to the chilis. I had it for breakfast  the following day lightly toasted with butter and raspberry jam. I was sorry I didn't buy a bunch to freeze though I don't know if they would freeze well.


The Peach Pullaway was also delicious. It was very moist with chunks of peaches. It went well with my strong cup of coffee. The kitchen counter was the perfect spot for it since every time someone would pass by, they would pinch a chunk off.


Next time you are in the vicinity of the Sierras, stop by the Bakery which does open at 6:00 a.m. Their address is 763 N. Main St. in Bishop. They also have a restaurant in Mammoth and was told they sell baked goods as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment