Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spago Beverly Hills

It has been ages since I've been to Spago. Yesterday I ended up there for a late lunch.  The ambiance was spacious, lots of light with a view of the kitchen.  We started with cocktails. I highly recommend the Tiffany which was a rose champagne with a twist of lemon. The Love, Lust & Lace was not bad; champagne with grand marinier.

A server came with a variety of breads. The olive was delicious. The crispy seedy cracker was almost tolerable with lots of butter; without the butter it tasted like gourmet bird food.


My friend had a lobster bisque to start.  I had a spoonful and I did like it as it was nice and light.
My shrimp salad looked outstanding. The shrimps couldn't have been better. It was delicious. I can't say the same for the salad part. It was a bit sour and no flavor. I would label this as the typical Beverly Hills diet.....flavorless salad wherein the person eating this will not have an ounce of guilt as is is pretty much just shredded vegetables with probably lemon.


We both looked forward to the Tagliatelle with Truffles. Two servers came with each dish and a tall dome covering the small mound of pasta.  When the dish landed for a touchdown on our table, they lifted the dome and let us have a whiff of the truffle aroma. My first comment was that was the strangest Tagliatelle I have ever seen. It looked like spaghetti. In fact it reminded me of a Filipino-Chinese noodle called lomi.  I asked the server about the pasta as it sure didn't look like a Tagliatelle. He told us with confidence that this was a Tagliatelle pasta. Who am I to argue....the customer is never right!  It was good but this did not wow me. At $42 this should have been wonderful. The last pasta I had with truffles was at Locando Positano and that did wow me.


We did order a dessert to split.  A Sticky Toffee Date Cake with caramelized apple, labne frozen yogurt, sweet pickled dates, thyme. This was good but not as exciting as I would have imagined.


I was not impressed at all for lunch so I doubt I would return for dinner. It would be a very expensive experiment to go back. Wolfgang Puck may have been the best at one time but I think time has not been on his side lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment