Thursday, March 20, 2014

MB Post

Manhattan Beach Post located at 1142 Manhattan Ave. in Manhattan Beach was the venue for our friend Ana's belated birthday. We were all excited to try this restaurant.  All 5 of us went via a limousine which made our outing so much more fun especially for the birthday celebrant who was totally surprised.



I was happy to see that this was a much bigger place than Chef Le Fevre's other restaurant, Fishing with Dynamite. Our server Rachel was the best. She explained the menu to us and suggested we order 2-3 items each to be shared. We already knew we had to have their famous Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with maple butter. That was outstanding. It was cheesy, crusty outside soft inside with herbs and with the maple butter; it's like we all went straight to heaven. I have to tell you that these biscuits were not small and that is a good thing (at least for me). The others complained about the size but they had no difficulty in consuming their share.


We all absolutely loved the Broccoflower with lemon, chili flakes and parmesan. This was highly recommended by Rachel. The Pomegranate Couscous with lavender feta, almonds, grapefruit and mint was beautiful. Though most liked it, I'm afraid I could not share their enthusiasm. It was too healthy for my taste.  I did like the Saffron Risotto with blue crab, shrimp, squid, English peas and squid ink rice crackers. Two people in our party did not care for it since they don't enjoy squid. I know....I should have left them home!


We also ordered the Cabacero de Iberico De Bellota Puro, Extremador from Spain. This was served with 2 pieces of thick toast which didn't really go with it since the meat were sliced thin and small. They should have served it with thinner bread. They also could have put more mustard on the platter instead of drop or two. The Fee Fi Fo Fum Fries with the mbp sauce was a big disappointment. I think this should be taken off the menu. They are giant size (fee fi fo fum) but they are tasteless and just too starchy. I had a bite. Everyone shared my opinion.  Ana ordered the Vietnamese Caramel Pork Jowl with green papaya salad with lime. That was good though 2 people didn't care for it only because it was the "jowl". Like I said, I should have left them home. The Seared Diver Scallops with sweet peas and bacon and smashed potatoes was a hit. We all liked it. The last item we ordered was the White Oak Grilled Skirt Steak with grilled broccolini and red chimichurri.  It's funny that we all had the same opinion on this steak. First of all, it was tender so that was a good thing but it was much too bitter for us. I usually like a burnt taste on some meats but this one went overboard. It wasn't burnt but it tasted like it was so we really did not enjoy it.


Dessert time: The birthday girl got the Valrhona Chocolate & Salted Caramel Tart with vanilla whipped cream. Let me tell you, this was wonderful; we all loved it! The "Elvis" was a wonderful mess of chocolate pudding, peanut butter mousse and bacon brittle. It had caramelized bananas on top. Everyone loved this. I liked the pudding and the banana part. I don't like peanut butter so I didn't like the mousse.


If I were to compare MB Post to Fishing With Dynamite, I would have to say Fishing With Dynamite would be my preference.  See previous blog:
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2013/12/fishing-with-dynamite.html

You have to go visit MB Post to experience their Cheddar Biscuits for sure and hopefully you will have better luck in your selections. You can be sure you will get great service especially if you end up with Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment