Monday, August 5, 2013

Wilson Park Farmer's Market

I've never been to the Farmer's Market on Wilson Park in Torrance.  I've gone walking there with my partner in "eating" crime Sandi, several times in the past. Last Saturday, I received a text from her at 7:15 a.m. asking me if I would like to "power" walk at the park and as a bonus, check out the market. I immediately got dressed and we were at the park by 8:15 a.m.

We walked at a slow pace as we passed the flowers and vegetables. By the time we got to the booths that sold food, we were crawling. Too many distractions. By 8:30 a.m. we both realized we haven't had breakfast and the aroma of the various foods made us even hungrier. Thai Tiffany had a semi-long line so I lined up there as Sandi went for the potato on the stick. We ended up sharing a Pad Thai with 1 skewer of  barbecue chicken. We also thought we'd try the Thai tea. I've had Thai tea before and I knew it would be sweet. This one was different. It was awful. It had a peculiar flavor. The pad Thai was good and the potato was even better, salty!  We enjoyed our food at 8:30 a.m. Just to show you, our stomach does not really know if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner time. When hunger strikes you eat...end of story, everyone happy. Does that sound like a quote from Confucius?



After all that flavorful food, we started craving for something sweet. We tried a sample of the mini bundt cakes. It tasted good so we bought a few; 3 minis for $10.00.  I got the cappuccino, raspberry chocolate and lemon to take home.  One bite of sweet didn't make us particularly happy. We walked by a booth selling donuts. As I cased the joint, I zoomed in on what looked like a cronut.  I immediately bought 2. This place has a restaurant in Culver City named Café Laurent. The cronut looked promising. It looked crispy. It had the layers of croissant but it was not crispy at all. In fact, it was chewy. It had the right amount of custard but it failed to really excite our palate. It too had a bit of a greasy aftertaste.


By the time we were done with dessert and ready to do a real walk, I remembered I had a nail appointment at 9:45 a.m. so off I went.....

After dinner that evening my husband and I tried the mini bundt cakes. Funny how I used to love them and thought they were really good. Sandi felt the same way. I found them to be too sweet (the filling) and they were not as moist as they used to be. We ate them all anyways.



No comments:

Post a Comment