Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Christmas Dinner




Just wanted to share my Christmas dinner since it turned out perfect, at least in my book. Believe me, I've had a few that were far (miles and miles) from perfect.

I started out with a green salad with some candied pecans, croutons, crumbled feta cheese with a dressing of blood orange olive oil and pomegranate balsamic vinegar.
For my main entree, I made Steak Diane with mushrooms..Emeril Legasse's recipe which I altered a bit by adding more cream and brandy (how could you go wrong with that).
I also made lumpy parmesan mashed potatoes which longed for Diane's sauce. Another side dish I prepared the day before was Tyropita. This is a Greek dish made out of layers and layers of filo dough- individually brushed with melted butter; feta, swiss cheese and eggs.

For dessert I thought my guests would like something light and refreshing. Key lime with chocolate sauce. Not everyone wanted to be adventurous so they chose not to have the sauce! (See if I'll invite them again). My serving had lots of the sauce. The combination of tart and sweet was truly enjoyable. Just in case someone was not fond of key lime, I also served a blueberry sour cream cheese pie; this was a hit! I bought these pies from a restaurant in Lomita called Lulu's. The owner baked them herself. If you ever have a craving for homemade pie...this is the place to go. She'll bake almost any pie on request and she is VERY reasonable!

So far, I haven't had any calls from my guests about getting sick since the meal was on the rich side...my advise was just take an extra dose of Lipitor.

3 comments:

  1. Tita candy this looks amazing as usual. I really need to try your steak Diane sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed! How did you do the tyropita? Did you actually spread cheese on every filo sheet? That's so much work!
    Also I love key lime pie. Next time I'm in CA, I better be invited to one of your dinner parties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She calls it her "labor of love" dish bc she actually brushes cholesterol goodness on every delicate sheet.

    ReplyDelete