Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Le Comptoir-Paris





On our last trip in Paris, we made it a point to go to Le Comptoir. As soon as we got to our hotel we called to make a reservation. Big mistake...the first opening they had for dinner was in months, though if I had the funds, I would have gladly waited. We were told that if you go early for lunch, one could fall in line; so we did just that. It was worth the wait!

Its a small place, not fancy, tables close together; the ambiance was not exciting as I would have imagined with all the hype I heard about this restaurant. They had a tasting menu which was written on a board (in french of course) after all we were in Paris. We decided to go for it; whatever it was. Our first course was Fricasse de champignon cepes girolles trompette de la mort which were a variety of mushrooms topped w/prosciutto. They were salty (which we loved) and just wonderful. I could have eaten 2 bowls! The entree was duck which was superb. For dessert, we had the creme brulee which was cooked to perfection.

While we were eating, you could see chef Yves Camdeborde who has been regarded as the culinary rock star of Paris. I wanted to tell him how much we enjoyed our meal. It was a perfect meal; something I would ask for as my last meal if I were ever have to face a firing squad.
I went up to talk to Mr. Camdeborde; our conversation didn't last too long as I only knew a few sentences in French. I told him I didn't speak or understand french but I thought his food was magnificent! I asked (in English w/ my sign language) if he wouldn't mind having our picture taken and he graciously agreed. I was glad that this well known chef who has been featured everywhere was charming and humble unlike some others. So, I say to Chef Camdeborde, ROCK ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment