Thursday, October 11, 2018

Oktoberfest 2018 at the Alpine Village

The only time I went to the Oktoberfest at the Alpine Village was in the late 70's. I was taking German and remember having a fabulous teacher named Gundula. She was great because not only did she teach the language but made the class very interesting with stories about Germany and it's people. She also taught us German songs. What better place to practice and experience German than to go the Alpine Village for Oktoberfest.  Our whole class went and we all had a blast ordering our food in German, dancing and singing the songs we learned. I remember the band playing the "chicken dance song" and we all got up and did the silly dance.

I conned a friend into going with me last Friday.  Admission to the tent was $20 and $15 to a designated driver who received 2 tickets to a soda or water. We went as soon as it opened to avoid the crowds that can be rowdy.  The band straight from Germany performed and got everyone in the mood. unfortunately, it was too early for dancing. We had our silly picture taken for free, so that was something else to do.


We both ordered the Pork Schnitzel on a pretzel bun. It looked good but it was on the dry side. The French fries were nice and crispy which made up for the schnitzel. We skipped the Apfelstudel because it was not the flaky type of strudel; it was the cakey type which didn't look appetizing.


We both ate, listened to the music and shortly after the lady across from me spilled her red wine all over the table onto my knee and purse, we immediately thought it was time to leave. There were cops all over the parking lot getting ready for the crowd. I mentioned to one of them that the rowdy ones would soon be coming and he jokingly accused me of being "the rowdy one."

I'm sure that this is the last of my attendance of the Oktoberfest at the Alpine Village in Torrance. It's probably more fun if you go in a group and get drunk! The food was not good. We would have been better off going to the restaurant and ordering Rouladen or Sauerbraten. Oh well, not everything can be ausgezeichnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment