Wednesday, September 15, 2021

El Rocoto

This restaurant was recommended to me by Tony, who works at the Physical Therapy office I go to. Sandi and I were anxious to compare it with our recent visit to Kotosh, also a Peruvian restaurant. We got there for our early dinner, around 3:30 p.m. There were just 2 couples dining at the time. We noticed about 4-5 servers milling around and no one seemed to notice our presence. I finally had to say "Hello" and someone finally approached us. 

I wanted to order a Margarita but $13 seemed a bit much for a drink so I ended up with a diet coke. We ordered the Fettuccine Huancaina; stir-fried tenderloin Angus, with mushrooms and huancaina fettuccine. Sandi liked this dish better than what we had a Kotosh. I thought it was pretty good, especially the flavor of the meat. I wasn't sure I preferred this pasta to Kotoshs'. We also ordered the Aji de Gallina, shredded chicken with walnut creamy aji amarillo, and potatoes. This was disappointing as it lacked flavor. We both didn't care for it.

Before our food was served, they brought a basket with 2 French rolls and butter which we enjoyed.

We decided not to have dessert because we sat there waiting for our check which never came. By this time, we were the only people in the restaurant. The servers seemed to be enjoying each other's company. We tried eye contact but there were no eyes.....so I finally had to get up and approach 2 guys at the register to ask for our bill. 

The food at El Rocoto may be good/mediocre but the service is certainly lousy. I can only imagine how it is when they get busy. Do they get busy? 

El Rocoto is located at 1356 W. Artesia Blvd. in Gardena, California.


No comments:

Post a Comment