Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Calabra

This rooftop restaurant is located at the beautiful and hip hotel, Proper on Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica. My brother Gary treated Sandi and me for our birthdays last Saturday. The only reservation he could get was at 4:00 p.m., which he apologized for, but Sandi and I were ecstatic since any time after 3:30 is our dinner time. They don't serve dinner until 4:30, so we ordered drinks. The appetizers were limited to the "happy hour" menu. We really wanted to order the Cauliflower and the octopus, but they were not available until 4:30 p.m., which was a shame! 

So we ended up ordering the Calabra Meze, which was too healthy for my taste. The presentation was great, but I really couldn't get too excited; but I was hungry, so we all had our share. We were able to talk Sandi into ordering the Tower, vodka cucumber cordial, Dolin dry, and celery. Gary had Bourbon, and I had a dirty Belvedere Martini. I have to mention that it was not very dirty and I make a much better martini.

For our entrée, Gary and Sandi both ordered the Prime Steak Skirt; pomegranate molasses glaze, stewed butter beans, burnt pearl onion, and cherry tomatoes. They both liked their dish, but they both neglected to read the menu. Sandi thought it came with pasta, not beans, and Gary didn't see the word beans on the menu (he dislikes beans). Other than that, they enjoyed their dish.

I had the best one. The Lobster & Prawn Puttanesca; prawns, Maine lobster, squid ink shells, capers, and chili. It was absolutely delicious. A bit spicy, salty, just the way I like it. The shells were cooked to perfection. 

Dessert was a Budino and Key Lime pie which we all shared.  Both were very good. 




No comments:

Post a Comment