Sunday, June 29, 2014

Bottle Inn Riviera

A lot of people were excited to hear that the Old Bottle Inn in Hermosa Beach opened a branch in Redondo Beach. I have always loved the Bottle Inn but I haven't been there in probably 15 years. I used to order the Scalone Adriana which was a blend of scallops and abalone cooked in a lemon butter and white wine sauce. A friend of mine who has recently been there told me I had to order the carrot fries for appetizer, the ossobuco with the fettuccine and the bolognese.

We made a reservation for 4:30 p.m. (they open at 4:00 p.m. for dinner). We got there around 4:20 p.m. We had a table by the window. This place in unlike the Hermosa Beach restaurant; you would not call it romantic nor cozy. That's perfectly fine; after all this is in the heart of Redondo Beach on S. Catalina Avenue. The ambiance is "beachy". They believe in recycling from the candle holders, to the glasses to the light fixtures; I know because I have that gadget that cuts used wine bottles.

Three or four people arrived after us that settled in the bar. We were the only ones crazy enough to eat dinner that early; usually that equals better service. We ordered our appetizer. Carrot fries which looked absolutely delicious with an olive oil dip that had garlic and herbs. Looks were not deceiving in this case; they were wonderful although we both thought the dip did not do it justice. It needed something to make it pop. I asked our server if they had an aioli sauce, ranch or anything creamy. She went to ask her manager if they had something of that nature. She came back and informed us that the manager could give us a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise. I got excited....perfect.  Well, it was just what it needed. I suggest you ask for this sauce as it brings the carrot fries to another level......heaven!



For our entree, we ordered the Fettuccine Bolognese which was just o.k. If I had this dish years ago, I am sure I would have thought it was very good but times have changed and I have had much better Bolognese at Osteria Mozza, Il Pastaio, Vincenti, or Valentino's. The Ossobuco Di Vitello was tender and had a lot of flavor. Cooked in a Barolo wine and tomato mushroom sauce, this went well with the fettuccine.



Before our meal, we were entertained by one fly which I captured with my napkin against the window. I handed the napkin to our server and asked for another one. A few minutes later, the relatives of the dead fly came to pay their respects. I surrendered and just concentrated on my food.

I wanted to thank the manager for his suggestion on the sauce for the fries but he never came by nor did he make any eye contact or show concern for us. I thought it was odd since we were the only ones there for sometime before another party came in. He just spoke with his staff and occasionally to the 3 people at the bar. I don't know about the rest of the people but I always like to feel welcome at the restaurant like I welcome my guests when I invite them over for dinner at my home ...... and they don't even have to pay me!

I might still go and try my one time favorite Scalone but I will do so at the old establishment in Hermosa Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment