Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cinco de Mayo at El Torito Grill

Cinco the Mayo calls for Margaritas: that's the rule! Everything else is secondary to most people but for me, food is very important so we ventured over to El Torito Grill in Torrance.  My sister-in-law Grace, was with me along with Sandi and my son Erik.

We started out with Mango and Strawberry margaritas. They served their usual warm and fresh tortillas which we all loved with the honey butter; funny nobody touched the 2 other sauces that came with it. I strongly suggested we all have a cup of their most delicious Fire Roasted Tomato Soup. Both Sandi and Grace normally don't like any tomato soup but I am happy to report they are now converts. It was spicy, creamy and just yummy. Erik had to be different so he ordered the Tortilla soup. It was supposed to have chicken in it but unfortunately, there was not one piece of chicken in his cup! Next time he will just have to listen to mommy.




I ordered the Shrimp Diabla: mesquite grilled shrimps drizzled with orange achiote & jalapeno butter sauce with fresh vegetables and pasilla-cilantro rice and sweet corn cake.  This was cooked to perfection and yes, it was spicy.
Erik had the Filet Mignon Enchiladas and Grilled Shrimps. The filet had mushrooms with a sherry sauce. It came with the same green rice and vegetables. I had a taste of it and gave it my seal of approval.


Grace had the Lobster Quesadilla Platter. Red Chile tortilla and tender lobster, pasilla chiles, jack and cotija cheese, chipotle-basil aioli and a pineapple-mango salsa with rice and Peruvian beans. I had a bite of it; it was very good.


Sandi had the Carnitas Yucatan; orange-lime marinated pork slow roasted in garlic, achiote citrus habanero marinated red onions with Peruvian beans and rice plus the sweet corn cake. I had 2 bites of her dish.....I should have had more!


Though everything was delicious, we all did not like the Peruvian beans. I think it would be wise to substitute it for something else the next time. (hope we remember)


None of the desserts sounded good so I suggested we drive to Handel's Ice Cream. Sandi had the malt ice cream and Grace had the coffee chips and I had the best one....chocolate raspberry truffle.

El Torito has always been consistently good. You can always count on them. We went to the one located in 21321 Hawthorne Blvd. in Torrance California.

No comments:

Post a Comment