Monday, September 19, 2016

Dinner, Egyptian Style

Sandi and I were invited for dinner at Fairoz and Medhat's "weekend home" in Long Beach right in front of the Pacific Ocean. It was a beautiful afternoon as we sat on the patio overlooking Long Beach.


Fairoz told us that she was making something very simple and light for dinner. Her idea of simple and light is exactly like Sandi's idea of simple and light. She served a salad with a very thin wheat pita bread which went well with the Chicken Kabob, Beef Kofta, Rice with Cauliflower and Potatoes. It was enough to serve at least 8 people (there were only 4 of us). Though we have eaten kabobs and koftas in restaurants, it is so different when it is truly homemade. I asked Fairoz how she made the potatoes as they were outstanding. She said she would show me how to make it next time. I think I might send Sandi to watch and I will be more than happy to wait for the finished product.


When we thought we could not eat anymore, she brought out some fresh fruit, again enough for a battalion and a very special treat. It was a Baklava that her daughter brought. This was Syrian Baklava which was quite different from what I have had in the past. It didn't have that sicky overly sweet taste. It was the best baklava Sandi and I ever had.


At the end of the evening we went up on the rooftop and admired the full moon and the night lights of Long Beach.  We ended up staying for 5 hours. Thank you Fairoz and Medhat for a lovely evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment