Friday, April 5, 2019

California Pizza Kitchen

My friend Josie told me once that the steak at CPK was quite good. I never had the opportunity to try it till the other day. My husband had some points with American Express and they could not transfer the rewards to my American Express card but they could issue gift cards. There weren't too many restaurant choices so I picked CPK since there is one near me.

I haven't been to a CPK for a long time. Sandi needed convincing since the service was terrible each time she went. We went early enough so as not to be there at dinner time. Our server's name was Art. He first asked us what we wanted to drink. I looked at the wine list, by the glass since my eating partner decided on a non-alcoholic beverage. It took me a while to decide and when I finally decided, I noticed Art standing behind me. I was unaware of his presence as he patiently waited for my decision. Sandi was puzzled and was just about to tell me to order. Needless to say, I apologized but he didn't mind at all. I finally managed to make a decision on which wine to order.

Sandi had her favorite fish which is Halibut that was roasted on a cedar plank with grilled asparagus. It came with cream farro with butternut squash and baby kale. She was not thrilled with those so she asked if she could substitute the veggies with anything else and Art gladly obliged and suggested Brussels sprouts. I ordered the Fire-Grilled Ribeye with homemade Pinot Noir sea salt topped with bleu cheese butter. This was served with fingerling potatoes and a lemon-garlic arugula salad. I asked Art if the dressing would be too sour so he offered to bring me 2 other dressings on the side. The Halibut was so fresh and tender. It was very simple yet delicious. My steak was also very good and I was proud to be able to clean my plate.


Dessert time came along and we both agreed to try the Salted Caramel Pudding; rich caramel pudding with black cocoa cookie crumbs (oreo) and a caramel sauce with flaked Maldon sea salt. Sandi was almost in tears when she realized she couldn't have it since it had chocolate which she had given up for Lent. Art was quick to suggest that he could have the cookie crumbs on the side! Whoaaa!. Hooray for Art. The dessert reminded us both of the fabulous Budino we once had at the Montage in Beverly Hills. It was just as good.


I have to commend Art, our server. He did his job above and beyond. I think he should be promoted to manager or at least give a course to the rest of the servers on how to do a super job which makes the customer feel very special.


The California Pizza Kitchen we went to is located at 25304 Crenshaw Blvd. in Torrance, California.
I don't think we would be returning there without making sure Art will be there.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and amazing words Karina! Cant wait to see you both at my work again!

    ReplyDelete