Sunday, December 6, 2015

Fragrances Bar

This is the first bar  of its kind. The bar is situated at the Ritz Carlton in Berlin, Germany. Think cocktails in combination with the world of perfumes and aromas. A few examples of fragrances are brands from Giorgio Armani, Yves Saint Laurent, Guerlain, Annick Goutal to name a few.

I was intrigued when I walked in to take a peek at this bar. The ambiance is striking. They had just opened for the evening when I went in to investigate. I was greeted by a good looking guy and I just pleaded guilty to ignorance as to what this bar was all about. He explained that all I had to do is sample the numerous scents and pick what I liked. He would then make a drink with those scents/flavors. My first reaction which was obvious, was an expression of disgust. "Eeeww, I don't think I would like that, it would be like drinking perfume." I don't even like eating edible flowers so I imagine this would be similar. He immediately assured me that it was not like that and that I would be surprised. I told him I would pass it on to the rest of my party and that we would all come back and try it.


The following evening after a big dinner, Raymond, Aimee, Elliot, Ryan and I decided to be adventurous. The rest of the party went straight to their rooms. Before you enter the main bar, you go through a dark corridor and see what looks like an exhibit of high end fragrances beautifully displayed in glass domes with pictures that show how the drink will be served. Next to them are the main ingredients of the scents. Though the bar was busy, they were able to find us a table but we had to wait for extra chairs.


Raymond did not feel adventurous so he just ordered his usual Scotch. Elliot followed Raymond's lead and just ordered Old Fashioned. Aimee and I were determined to experience the fragrance cocktail. She ordered the Saffron Black, based on the Byredo Perfume. I had the Oriental Bahia by Frau Tonis. Ryan was the only adventurous of the male species who ordered the Pomegranate Noir. He commented that the name reminded him of his ex-wife.


Aimee was first to sip the exotic drink (Saffron Black) as I watched closely. No reaction till her second sip and her face suddenly was not pretty. She handed her sexy black glass to me as I took a sip. I figured it can't be that bad..... till I had a sip. It was that bad. I can't even explain it. I on the other hand lucked out. My drink served on an exotic container was delicious. I loved it and so did everyone else that tried it. Aimee commented that the glass looked like a uterus. I agreed plus it looked like it also had the fallopian tube attached. It took me awhile to realize it was really a flamingo! The drink was so good that I was talked into ordering another one.  I must say that Raymond, Elliot and Ryan had no complaints with their drinks. Our server brought us some popcorn to go with our drinks. It was good old plain popcorn without any gimmicks.


Fragrances Bar is best described as an experimental journey. It demands courage while your curiosity escalates. I was lucky to love what I ordered. I think they should give you a small spray bottle so in case you don't like your cocktail, you could pour it in a bottle and spray it all over you; at least you will leave smelling good.

Fragrances Bar is at the Ritz Carlton at Potsdamer Platz 3, 10785 Berlin in Germany.


No comments:

Post a Comment