Saturday, October 19, 2019

Colapasta

Michelin-starred Chef Stefano de Lorenzo opened this small restaurant on 1241 5th St. in Santa Monica not too long ago. He previously was the chef and owner of La Botte in Santa Monica which closed in 2014. Before that, he was at the restaurant in Venice, Piccolo and recently, he was cooking at another one of my favorite Italian restaurants, Maccheroli Republic. He makes his own pasta and since the kitchen is not big, it only allows him to cook one boiling pot at a time so you can be sure your pasta is fresh and aldente.


Sandi and I picked up my brother Gary as this was his discovery. Nothing on the menu is more than $14 which is a bargain. Sandi and I ordered the Zuppa Granoturco (Sweet Corn Soup) to start and Gary had the Bresaola Arugula e Burrata which was sliced paper-thin aged beef, arugula, and burrata. Though the soup was very good, the Bresaola was outstanding. I, of course, had some. Gary offered Sandi some and she proceeded on taking some of the burrata and arugula without the beef. Gary and I forced her to try it with the beef and she really didn't have a choice because I took the fork from her and added the beef. She did admit that it was indeed delicious!


Gary ordered the Gramigna Bolognese, Gramigna pasta with beef ragu. I would have ordered that but when I saw the picture of the Lasagna that had thin layers of pasta and with the burnt top, I had to forgo the Bolognese. Sandi wanted to order the Bolognese but decided to be adventurous and order the Rustica al Pesto with ricotta and arugula. I commented that she normally does not like pesto but she thought she would try it anyway. She should have ordered her first choice because she thought ours was way better than what she ordered. The lasagna was so good and so was the bolognese.


Colapasta gets part of its name from colander hence a picture of a little boy with a colander on his head. The restaurant is currently waiting for its liquor license and they do not have any desserts as yet.  But if it's pasta you want, you won't be disappointed with Colapasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment