Sunday, January 17, 2016

Musso & Frank Grill

Piero, a friend and dance instructor thought it would be a great idea for all of us to get dressed in the era of the 20's, 30's or 40's on our way to see the play Bullets over Broadway at the Pantages Theater. The only appropriate restaurant to have dinner before the show was Musso & Frank Grill in Hollywood. This iconic restaurant is the oldest in Hollywood. It has been there since 1919. Hollywood actors and writers like Charlie Chaplin, Greta Garbo, Mary Pickford, Rudolph Valentino, Elizabeth Taylor, Gary Cooper, Rita Hayworth, Steve McQueen, F.Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck to name a few, were regulars at this establishment.


We were served their sourdough bread with lots of butter to start. Anna mentioned that she saw a picture on yelp of the garlic bread which did look good. When she asked our server he pointed to the regular sour dough on our table. She showed him the picture on her phone and he immediately knew what she was talking about....the garlic bread. We all had a piece and it was very good indeed. I tried not to eat too much as garlic loves me more that I love it.


Piero had the Romaine salad which was good but I would have preferred a Caesar with anchovies. (but it wasn't my salad). He ordered the Prime Rib with baked potato. He informed me that it was delicious. I had to take his word for it. His baked potato looked a bit sad with just the little scoop of sour cream with a dusting of chives. I later saw the menu and it did include bacon which he did not get. I guess he should have asked for it.  Several people had the Short Ribs which I was told was tender and tasted as good as it looked.


Sandi and I had the Grenadine of Beef which were 3 filet medallions with a light brown gravy topped with Bearnaise sauce which was absolutely divine but was not enough for me so I had to ask for a little bit more which they indulged. We were asked if we wanted the thick or thin fries. I imagined the thin to be too thin so I ordered the thick ones. It was good but the thin ones were perfect (pictured are the thin fries).


We were all too full but Piero wanted dessert so he ordered the Chocolate Mousse Cake to share with everyone. It was big enough to share. It was rich and sweet; all I needed was the one bite enough to end my wonderful dinner. It brought back memories of Ana's (L'Amande Bakery) unforgettable chocolate cake and mousse.


As I was reviewing the menu of Musso & Frank online, I came upon a very interesting and exciting piece of information. I found out that the Fettuccine Alfredo, something I would never order anywhere since I have had the original one in Rome.....is the same one they serve at the original Fettuccine Alfredo in Rome. The story goes: Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks were on their honeymoon in Rome in 1927. They fell in love with Alfredo's fettuccine and asked for the recipe which he declined. The following day, the couple dined at Alfredo's and presented him with a golden fork and spoon and voila....they got the recipe. A little bribery helped. They got Chef Rue at Musso & Frank to make it for them and special people since they never put in on their menu. Today, the famous Fettuccine Alfredo is on their menu. This is a very good excuse to go back very soon.

Musso & Frank is at 6667 Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood, California.



No comments:

Post a Comment