Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Eatalian Cafe in Gardena

I've heard good and bad things about this restaurant in Gardena.  Several friends wanted to go and it was up to me to organize when..... well, it seemed everyone was busy and just didn't have the time. My friend Cindy had an Italian friend who made the statement that this was the best Italian restaurant she has been to.  Coming from an Italian, I figured...there's credibility here.

Last weekend, Sandi & I were together and before we knew it...it was lunch time. Hmm, where should we eat?  Thought of Eatalian. I googled it on my smart phone, called them to find out if they were open for lunch on a Saturday. The answer was "Yes".  So in 25 minutes, we were in Gardena.  The restaurant is in the industrial part of Gardena.  There are no places to gallivant. You go to that area (factories) to eat.

It is a good size warehouse. When you enter, you see big cans of tomato sauce stacked on top of each other. Reminded me of a war zone, the barracks of sand bags replaced with cans of tomato sauce. You get an airy feel as there is a lot of space; quite overwhelming.  The owner, Antonio Pelllini had a vision; restaurant with fresh pasta and homemade thin crust pizza, espresso bar, pastry bar and a gelato bar.



We ordered the Tagliatelle al Ragu (Bolognese) and the Spaghetti Carbonara with the usual bacon and egg. While we waited for our food, Sandi and I took turns looking at the pastry bar and gelato bar. The pastries failed to excite me. The gelati made my heard skip a beat or two.



Our food came and we split both orders.  The Spaghetti Carbonara was just o.k. It was good but we both thought we would not order it again. The Tagliatelle on the other hand was quite good.  Definitely not the best I have had but good enough for the price.



Our waiter came to ask if we wanted Parmesan cheese; Is the pope Catholic? As he got ready to sprinkle some on our pasta, I asked if he could just put some in a little bowl so I wouldn't have to keep asking. Well, he said they would have to charge us if he left a bowl on our table, however, we can have as much as we want if we just ask. So, I asked...and asked as the Parmesan vanished, asked some more.

For dessert, we both ordered gelato; I, the cappuccino and Sandi had the pineapple. After I ordered mine, I asked to taste the chocolate and boy was I sorry I didn't order that!



He informed us that at dinner time, they get very busy.  I think Eatalian is a good place for lunch. I will have to try their pizza next time as it looked so good; plus I have to go back for the chocolate gelato.  Cindy, Mertz and Sujata have been wanting to try this restaurant so Sandi and I may have to sacrifice and go back for their sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment